Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Austria National Day

I have arranged a trip to Salzburg and Vienna in a couple of weeks time and I believe my time in Vienna Oct 24th-28th coincides with Austria National Day which I understand is on the 26th. I have no idea whether this is good or not although think I read somewhere that a lot of the museums are free on that day. Will most things be open or do some shut down on the day. Am I best off planning certain sights on that as they be cheaper (although money doesn%26#39;t really matter) or does it make no difference.





Whilst I am there I would like to have a day trip to Bratislava which seems easy to get to by train and would welcome some advice as to what day would be best to go. I was thinking of perhaps doing the trip on the 27th which would give me 2 full days and 2 half days in Vienna and a full day in Bratislava. I am sure I could spend longer in Vienna and not do a day trip to Bratislava although I quite enjoy some day/half day trips (am planning 1 when in Salzburg) when on holiday as it gives me a bit of a chance to see the countryside albeit from a train.




|||



Shops will be closed and museums open but most likely very packed on the 26th of October. Last year I noted that busloads of pupils from Slovakia were coming to save on museum admission.





Do consider taking the Twin City Liner boat-service for either the journey to or the return trip from Bratislava or even both. The trip should be much more memorable than by train and the stations are both extremely centrally located. It%26#39;s very popular, so do reserve online in time, it%26#39;s somewhat more expensive than the train, however.





www.twincityliner.com/english/index.shtml




|||



I believe that one of the main tourist attractions of Bratislava , the castle,has or will close duringOctober for an extended period of renovation. Pl.esae check this before making a final decision to visit.



Budapest , while a longer train ride is much more intereting and still doable as a day trip if you wish





you can check trains





www.oebb.at





While the 26th is a big Holiday - most festivities are around Heldenplatz by the Hofburg Palace. - including military displays and often a Eurofighter copy , tanks and helicpters.




|||



Thanks for the tips. I have been to Budapest twice before so think I can miss a day trip there even though I really like the city. I will try and check the castle is open in Bratislava although will probably go by train as I think that gives me a bit more flexibility in how long I stay there and our hotel in Vienna is right next to the station.




|||



The historic city center of Bratislava is very quaint and the whole zone is for pedestrians only. You can walk from the Danube port directly to the city center in 5 - 10 Minutes. Bratislava has really had a lot of reconstruction done in the past few years, so it is really a jewel compared to other capital cities. One day is really enough time to get an impression of the city. I personally don%26#39;t find the Hrad (castle) that exciting, it%26#39;s just the view that is nice. The beer is great there and the restaurant prices are reasonable if you avoid the tourist traps (which you can see a mile away). Budapest is a much larger city and needs more time to enjoy, plus the trip there takes longer from Vienna.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 08, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment