Saturday, April 21, 2012

Getting to Jenbach from London via Munich

I am struggling to find flights to Innsbrook for my dates.





How easy is it to get to Jenbach from the Munich Airport?




|||



I did the trip last year and it%26#39;s not bad. You fly into Munich, catch the Schnellbahn S8 to Munich East station, and change there onto the express which takes you to Jenbach in about 2 hrs, if I recall aright. I booked my ticket (including the schnellbahn leg and a seat reservation which is recommended) from the British office of Deutschebahn - you can book over the phone and they post the ticket to you in England.





I thought it was going to be a right marathon but Munich airport is efficient and the Deutschebahn timetables are so good you even know which platform you will need to go to in advance so I didn%26#39;t find it too stressful. The worst part was lifting my overloaded suitcase onto the luggage rack (I ended up balancing it on my face, oww!)





Another possibility is flying to Salzburg from Stansted and getting the train from there to Jenbach - I%26#39;ve done that before when going to the Tirol.





Hope that helps - let me know if you have specific questions about airport layout (so tricky, I know), ticket booking etc.





rol




|||



The next airports are Innsbruck, Salzburg and Munich. From all three there%26#39;s efficient public transport to Jenbach.





Just have a look into the online-timetable:





http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en





Just get your tickets at the rail station... no need to buy them in advance. No reservation required on any train...




|||



Robbi is the expert on Austrian transport, of course, but I would just say from my experience, a reservation is useful if you are travelling from Munich to Jenbach in the high summer season. By the time the train reached Munich East when I was travelling in August, it was packed, and without the seat reservation I would have been hard pushed to find a seat for what was quite a long journey. The train I took was the express to Italy (I think to Venice) so loads of people were off on their summer holidays. I%26#39;ve found I don%26#39;t usually need reservations when taking trips on regional trains in Austria, but they are useful if you are using the intercity express trains at peak times, especially if you have lots of luggage and don%26#39;t want to wander up and down a hugely long train searching for a free seat.





Buying the tickets in advance does not cost more (I think - I%26#39;m not so sure about the German system as the Austrian) and it does reduce hassle of queueing etc when you are in the midst of a journey and burdened with luggage.





rol




|||



This is very helpful - thank you both very much.





I%26#39;ve been to Munich before and remember the airport to be very efficient and not particularly crowded.




|||



There is actually a difference in fares...





If you catch the S-Bahn and then a RB (Regionalbahn) or RE (RegionalExpress) train, it%26#39;s € 28 oneway, 2nd class. If your journey involves a EC (EuroCity) train, it%26#39;s € 32,40. As you don%26#39;t know if your plane will be on time, it%26#39;s better to buy the ticket just at the airport... they have ticket counters and ticket machines there... and even there you can do a seat reservation (€ 1,50 from the ticket machine if bought with a ticket, € 3,50 from the counter).





I personally would not wait for the next EC train... they run only each 2 hours... and RB/RE trains can be as comfortable as some of the EC-trains, as they have sometimes old italian coaches.




|||



It sounds as if you have the same travel itinerary as me. I am flying to Munich, then train to Jenbach. I rang Ostbahn, or whoever the Austrian Railways are, and the helpful receptionist said I would be able to buy a ticket at Munich on the day. Maybe the train will be crowded, but you will be in high spirits having arrived over there and be able to take on anything as you look forward to your holiday in the Alps!




|||



Did you get there safely in the end. I did and it was well worth it.




|||



I%26#39;m a little confused. Could someone please tell me the cheapest way to travel by train from Venice to Jenbach on 7th December 07? Then from Jenbach to Munich on 12th December 07?



We are four people aged 22years.





Can we use a Bavarian Laender ticket?



We don%26#39;t need to go to the airport.





Any advice would be really appreciated.





Kind Regards



Meg (Australian)




|||



Venezia S. Lucia to Jenbach can be booked online at:





http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html





The smart offer can sells out quickly and is really cheap...





One direct train at 13:33... others require one easy change. Smart fare: € 29 Youth fare € 40. You%26#39;ll get the youth fare also from the ticket window.





For Jenbach to Innsbruck there%26#39;s no timetable published yet, as there will be the annual europe-wide timetable change on 9. December... so check again later. Bayern-Ticket can be used from Kufstein or Kiefersfelden on...




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, September 12, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment